This was the extremely eclectic Victorian residence of John H. Barnes on Peachtree Street.  What a statement so soon after the city’s devastation during the Civil War!

 It was located on the block now occupied by the former Macy’s building and the Westin Peachtree Plaza.  There were some equally impressive mansions neighboring this one by 1890, but none of them were quite this exuberant.  Toward the end of the 19th century the home was remodeled and used by the Capital City Club before that organization built their still standing facility at Peachtree and Harris Streets.  Downtown Atlanta

(Source: cdm.sos.state.ga.us)